Saturday, May 7, 2011

Inside the List - NYTimes.com

Competition for Microsoft Word from Microsoft PowerPoint?

POWER SELLER: PowerPoint has been blamed for everything from corporate stupidification to burying Western civilization in a hailstorm of bullet points. It may have also helped “A Visit From the Goon Squad,” Jennifer Egan’s widely praised novel-in-stories, clinch this year’s Pulitzer Prize for fiction. In a recent talk at the New York Public Library, Egan (who normally writes her fiction by longhand) described getting hooked on the program while preparing to write a chapter in the form of a PowerPoint presentation: “I was possessed. I was doing PowerPoint when my husband went to bed. I was doing PowerPoint when he woke up. Everyone was so tired of it. If we went to the beach, I would pull down the shades and do PowerPoint. . . . It’s almost embarrassing how much time I spent colorizing my PowerPoint, like a mad scientist with little tinctures of color.” “Goon Squad” is No. 18 on this week’s trade paperback fiction list.

Inside the List - NYTimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment